Friday 29 January 2010

"You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train"


Howard Zinn: "You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train", a good reminescent of shallow neutrality and pseudo-objectivity of some widely-acclaimed mainstream media corporations. The claim of being neutral and objective is as absurd as to claim to be still on the moving earth.

Howard Zinn also wrote:

From the start, my teaching was infused with my own history. I would try to be fair to other points of view, but I wanted more than 'objectivity'; I wanted students to leave my classes not just better informed, but more prepared to relinquish the safety of silence, more prepared to speak up, to act against injustice wherever they saw it. This, of course, was a recipe for trouble.


The criticism of his "bias" barely raised a hair on Mr. Zinn’s neck:
It’s not an unbiased account; so what?”, “If you look at history from the perspective of the slaughtered and mutilated, it’s a different story.”


about WWII:
“I would not deny that war had a certain moral core, but that made it easier for Americans to treat all subsequent wars with a kind of glow,” Mr. Zinn said. “Every enemy becomes Hitler.”


The title of his memoir, he noted, best described his personal philosophy:
“You Can’t Be Neutral on a Moving Train.”

No comments: